Tuesday, January 18, 2011

brain reverts to 6th grade poetry, i still like it.


Have you had this nightmare? It freakin' BLOWS

I’ve got to get out of here
I yell and screech and scream
But I can’t really hear myself
I’m a walking breathing dream
I try to pinch arm for safety
I bang on locked and bolted doors
But I’m irrationally stuck
My feet can’t leave the floors
My body separates
into shattered broken glass
The pieces look like jewelry
but the gold has turned to brass
My heart aches from the inside out
It’s a sore and battered bruise
there’s a sharp and keen awareness
An encroaching finish line with a sign that says, “you lose”
I’m desparate now for my alarm
This can’t be real, I sense it
But the way out is eclipsed to me
It’s a middle of the night suspense hit
I pray for my positive living nature
to sway this nasty part of my head
that finally something auspicious
Will help me feel safe again in bed.
Though possibly this is where
The violence in me lurks
It’s only in my REM
Does the devil get her perks.
And thus in this restless sleeping state
I’m reminded that waking life, in fact, is heaven
That this horrible reality will at long last end
when my alarm admits it’s seven.
I’ll be grateful for my yoga class
I’ll be grateful for my sassy awesome gig
I’ll feel inspired by the sunlight
I’ll dance a stupid god bless coffee jig
My costumes will be awesome
My lines will all be learned
And I will be loved and everyloving
This dream forever will be burned.

Addendum:
So since the night will come again
And so it doesn’t haunt me
I wrote it down so it’s in the past
my subconscious can't continue to taunt me.
I feel like I’ve won this battle
With my hellish inner brain
But now all I want to do is sleep all day
Bad dreams traded for amazing dream cocaine.

1 comment: